We can all relate to that classic cartoon trope of the goofy protagonist, enchanted by the aroma of a fresh pie, floating towards the delicious scent. Not much compares to a fresh pie, but what if you don’t have access to a conventional oven?
Pie can be reheated in the microwave in about 10 minutes regardless of the type of pie you wish to reheat.
What Kind of Pies Can Be Reheated in the Microwave?
All pies can be reheated in the microwave! Having said that, however, some pies will hold up better than others when put through the microwave, in particular:
- Apple pie
- Peach pie
- Cherry pie
- Berry pie
- Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pie
Fruit-based pies stand up best to the microwave method, though you can put any pie that is intended to be served hot into the microwave for a warm treat.
How Long is Pie Good For?
All pies will last longer if kept in the fridge, though they will begin to spoil or separate at a certain point. For pumpkin or sweet potato pies, this is usually between four and five days, four days for fruit pies, or one week for nut pies.
Reheating Refrigerated Pie in the Microwave
If you kept your pie in the refrigerator, you can easily reheat it in the microwave in a maximum of ten minutes using just a dish and paper towels. To do so:
- Place the pie in a microwave-safe dish and add a paper towel or two on top of the pie to prevent moisture from escaping.
- Heat pie on high in 30-second bursts, checking temperature between intervals.
- Repeat the process until filling begins to bubble or desired temperature is reached, usually between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pie from the microwave with oven mitts as it will be quite hot. Then, allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
The key to keeping your pie from drying out when reheating it in the microwave is the paper towel on top, locking in the moisture from escaped steam. If you don’t have paper towels available, a sheet or two of wax paper will have the same effect.
Reheating Frozen Pie in Microwave
Unlike some foods, frozen pie cannot be left to thaw on the countertop and still maintain it’s integrity. If you don’t have the time (or patience) to reheat a frozen pie in the oven, you can reheat a frozen pie in the microwave by following these steps:
- Remove pie from freezer and place on microwave-safe dish.
- Cover the pie with a microwave-safe plate or paper towels to catch steam.
- Cook pie for 7 ½ minutes.
- If the pie has not reached your desired temperature in 7 ½ minutes, continue to cook in 30-second intervals until ready.
The method for reheating a frozen pie in the microwave is almost identical to that of reheating a refrigerated pie, though the first cooking interval is much longer so that the pie can defrost.
Fresh pie flavor does not have to be sacrificed once a pie cools. If your pie has been properly-stored, you can reheat it in the microwave and achieve delicious results with just a paper towel and a bit of patience!