Soft pretzels make for a delicious snack, especially when they’re fresh and soft. When you go to reheat your leftover soft pretzel, you may find that the texture doesn’t come out as soft as it was originally. There are a few keys to reheating soft pretzels again for maximum quality.
You can reheat soft pretzels in the oven or the microwave. When you’re doing so, you want to get some moisture back into the bread, so it remains soft once it’s been heated.
Following a few simple tips will allow you to enjoy your soft pretzel again. You can choose either option to enjoy a reheated soft pretzel that tastes fresh again.
How to Reheat Soft Pretzels in the Oven
Choosing the oven can be a great idea if you need to reheat more than one soft pretzel at once.
Unlike the microwave method, you don’t want to wrap the pretzels in a damp paper towel. That could be dangerous in an oven.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. You don’t want too high of a heat, since you’re just trying to gently heat the pretzel.
- Spray the pretzel sparingly with water. You don’t want to saturate the pretzel, just moisten it.
- Use aluminum foil to wrap the soft pretzel before placing it into the oven.
- Heat the pretzel for 5-6 minutes, before checking on it.
- Continue to heat in short increments of 60 seconds if it needs to continue heating.
- Remove from the oven and unwrap the aluminum foil before eating.
If you decide you want the exterior of the pretzel to have a bit of a crunch, you can opt to leave the aluminum foil off. However, keep a close eye on your pretzel to ensure it doesn’t burn while it’s reheating in the oven.
How to Reheat Soft Pretzels in the Microwave
This is undoubtedly the quickest method for reheating any food. When it comes to heating your soft pretzel in the microwave, you’ll want to take a few things into consideration. First, you’ll have to add some moisture and that’s done by a damp paper towel in this case.
- Wrap your leftover soft pretzel in a rung-out, damp paper towel.
- Place the pretzel on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave the pretzel for 30-45 seconds.
- Remove the pretzel and proceed to check if it’s warmed all the way through.
- If not, warm for another 15-20 seconds. Repeat this process until it’s properly reheated.
Note: All microwaves are different and can require different lengths of heating time. The times provided above are estimates and it’s recommended that you check the pretzel frequently.
- Allow the pretzel to cool for a few moments, as it can be very hot inside.
If you don’t use the damp paper towel for your pretzel, the bread can become dry and hard to chew. It’s important to thoroughly ring out the paper towel, or else the pretzel may become soggy and wet – which isn’t pleasant either.
Can You Freeze and Then Reheat Soft Pretzels?
If you don’t think you’ll be able to consume your pretzel before it goes bad, try freezing it! Pretzels and bread in general freeze very well. You don’t even need to wait for the pretzel to thaw out before you bake it or microwave it.
If you’re trying to reheat a pretzel from frozen, then just add a few minutes onto the end of the cooking time. This will allow the pretzel time to adequately defrost and also reheat.
While it’s not necessary, you can thaw out the frozen pretzels in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Make sure you don’t leave your pretzels out at room temp for multiple days though or they may mold.
There are a couple of solid options when it comes to reheating your leftover soft pretzel. You can choose to reheat it in the microwave or in the oven. Either way will work well if you follow the steps above.
The main goal of reheating your pretzel is to avoid the bread turning chewy and hard. To do this, ensure that you’re adding moisture back to the pretzel. You can do so by adding a small amount of water to the frozen pretzel.
Soft pretzels can make a great afternoon snack, with some cheese sauce or mustard. You may even find yourself getting extra pretzels to stock in your freezer for later. You’ll be a pro at reheating them in no time!