Whether it’s leftovers or an ordered fried dish that’s already gotten cold, there are many ways to reheat your food. However, the oven is arguably the best route to take.
Many people switch on the microwave or air fryer, or they may even put their fried leftovers on a stove. However, your food is likely to lose its texture and flavor with these methods.
Fried food will remain crispy in dry heat, which is what an oven provides. If you pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees, you’ll enjoy your fried meals at their very best. It’s also important to reheat fried food on top of a rack, so the excess oil can drip.
How to keep fried food crispy when reheating
Most fried food, from french fries to chicken wings, is simply best when they are crispy. This is why the oven is your best bet when reheating fried food. It’s the easiest way to keep your food crispy.
Thanks to the dry air within the oven, fried food can maintain that crispy nature, even after reheating. Also, it won’t lose the flavor or taste, both of which you can enjoy alongside the crisp.
Fried food that can be reheated in an oven
Most fried foods come from fast-food restaurants, and that’s because fried foods are best eaten while they’re hot. Once they get cold, they can become soggy and upsetting to eat.
There are different fried meals you can reheat with your oven and bring back that warm and crispy taste. These include wontons, egg rolls, chicken wings, and more.
How to reheat wontons with your oven
With how tasty wontons are, it’s rather difficult to see leftovers. However, in the rare event that you do have leftovers or delivery of wontons that came in cold and late, you can reheat your wontons. It’s very easy to do so with your oven:
- First, heat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using an oven-safe baking dish or container, put the fried wontons inside and cover the dish with foil.
- Place the sheet inside the oven on the rack closest to the heat source.
- The amount of time that you will reheat it depends on the size and quantity of the food. This can range from 2 to 10 minutes.
- Open up the foil for the last few minutes of cooking to improve crispiness.
- Remove the wontons from the oven and use a food thermometer to check that the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
How to reheat fried egg rolls with your oven
Egg rolls are great when served fresh and warm. If they’re left in the fridge for long, they become rather soggy and a little difficult to enjoy. However, you can get them up to crispy and tasty conditions with your oven:
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a baking sheet, spray or brush on your choice of oil.
- For egg rolls, peanut oil is a good choice.
- To prevent egg rolls that are crispy on the outside but cold on the inside, first place the egg rolls on a plate and microwave for around 2 minutes.
- Add the warmed egg rolls to the baking sheet and spray the oil on top.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, flip and bake for 5 more minutes.
How to reheat fried chicken wings with your oven
Just like wontons, chicken wings are great when hot. Reheating them is a straightforward process when you use your oven, rather than a stove. Also, the oven will keep the crisp in every bite:
- Take the wings out of the fridge until they thaw fully.
- During this time, let your oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, prepare a sheet pan by spraying it with nonstick spray.
- Once the wings have come to room temperature, arrange them on the sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Put the sheet in the oven and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on one side.
- Flip and then cook for another 5 to 6 minutes on the other side.
- Remove them from the oven and use a food thermometer to check that the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
How to reheat other fried foods with your oven
Irrespective of the fried meal you’re trying to bring back to its warm, perfect quality, the rules are generally the same. Freshly fried foods taste best, and with each day in the refrigerator, they can become very soggy.
Using the oven can bring back the crispiness while removing the unwanted sogginess from your fried leftovers.
Remember to put your oven at around 400 degrees, because the oven needs to be hot to properly reheat the fried dish. If the heat is too low, you won’t find that crisp you’re looking for.
As long as your oven gets to 400 degrees, you can safely warm up fried leftovers into crispy newness. However, it’s important to note how these fried foods have been stored.
It isn’t safe to eat fried food that has been left out at room temperature for more than two hours. It is best to freeze your leftovers if you won’t be eating them soon, or refrigerate them at least.