If you are a cheese fan, then there’s a good chance that you have tried fondue. Dipping different foods into a pot of melted cheese makes both a good group meal and also a fun dish to add to a party.
Fondue is a lot of cheese and people don’t always finish it at the first meal. Cheese can easily be stored in the fridge, but then it loses its melted consistency. To enjoy fondue again, it must be reheated.
Luckily, it is easy to reheat fondue. Smaller amounts can be reheated in the microwave while larger amounts can be reheated on the stove. You can also use a double boiler and put it in a specific fondue pot.
In the Microwave
The microwave is a really easy way to reheat smaller amounts of fondue. If done right, the consistency won’t get messed up.
Step 1: Move the fondue into a microwave-safe bowl.
Step 2: Heat in the microwave for 15-second increments. After each increment, stir the fondue to get rid of lumps and to spread the heat.
Step 3: Heat until you get the consistency that you like.
Step 4: Take out and enjoy.
- Doesn’t take a lot of time
- Doesn’t take a lot of effort
- Good for smaller amounts of fondue
- Good if you plan on eating it right away
- Can only reheat small amounts at once
- You need to eat it right away
Using the double-boiler method is a great way to slowly reheat the fondue on the stove. It gives the fondue a consistency that is as if it was fresh.
- Step 1: Place your fondue in a heat-safe bowl.
- Step 2: Fill a pot half to two-thirds full with water and heat it over medium heat.
- Step 3: Add the bowl of fondue and allow the water to get to a boil. Continuously stir the fondue until it’s the desired consistency again.
- Step 4: Remove from heat and carefully remove the bowl of fondue.
- Step 5: Enjoy.
- Nicely reheats the fondue
- Doesn’t take too much time
- Good for larger batches
- Takes quite a bit more effort
On the Stove
You don’t need to use a double boiler to reheat your fondue on the stove. Putting the cheese directly into the pot can work just as well.
- Step 1: Over medium heat, add a tablespoon of butter to a pot and melt it down.
- Step 2: Add the fondue to the pot.
- Step 3: Keep mixing the fondue and turn the heat to low once it starts to boil
- Step 4: Allow it to heat some more and keep stirring. Once satisfied, remove from heat and enjoy.
- Heats very evenly
- Good for larger batches
- Takes more time
- Takes more effort
- Make sure to wash the pot shortly after removing the fondue so it doesn’t stick
- Keep stirring! If you stop stirring and let it sit, the heat can overcook the cheese. No one wants a lumpy fondue.
- Add milk or cream. If your fondue is too thick when you reheat it, you can make it thinner by adding milk or cream. Both of these options keep the fondue tasting great.
- Keep the heat low. When reheating fondue, it can be a good idea to start with lower heat. This lets the cheese heat more evenly and can help with not making it lumpy.
How Long is Fondue Good For?
In the fridge, fondue is good for around 3 days. For the best taste, use it as soon as possible.
You can also put fondue in the freezer. This will also alter the taste, but it is good if you know you won’t be able to finish it in time. In the freezer, the fondue will last around 2 months. That’s a lot longer than 3 days.
Reheated fondue should be used right away. Never reheat fondue more than once, otherwise, bacteria can grow in it or the consistency can get thrown off.
Thawing Frozen Fondue
Now that you know that you can freeze fondue, it’s important to know the best way to thaw them. There are a few methods that you can use to do this.
In the Fridge
The easiest way to thaw fondue is by leaving it in the fridge overnight. There are no extra steps involved in this method.
Take your bag of fondue and drop it into boiling water. This will thaw the fondue quickly and can also be used to reheat the fondue all in one step. Though, once it gets hot you’ll want to take it out and mix the fondue. Be careful not to hurt yourself!
It’s super easy to enjoy leftover fondue just as much as you did when it was fresh. With the stovetop and microwave methods, your fondue will taste like new.
There are many ways to store leftover fondue just as there are many ways to enjoy it once again. If you are giving the leftovers to a group, they won’t even know that it is a day or so old.