French toast, toaster oven… asking yourself, “Can I make French toast in a toaster oven?” is a logical jump given the name. The French have given us many a culinary delight– the croissant, the french fry, and few other breakfast treats compare to their toast.
So long as you have all the required ingredients, you can cook French toast in a toaster oven in 20 minutes with a baking sheet, a mixing bowl, and a piece of aluminum foil.
What Ingredients Do I Need For French Toast?
French toast contains common breakfast ingredients– milk, eggs, and butter, to name a few. The comprehensive list of ingredients and their amounts are as follows:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 4 slices of bread
Steps To Make French Toast in The Toaster Oven
Once you have your ingredients assembled, the instructions for preparing the toast are simple and as follows:
- Set the toaster oven to 425F. Prepare your baking sheet while the toaster oven preheats by lining it with foil and a quick coating of cooking spray.
- Whisk together your vanilla, salt, cinnamon, egg, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Slowly add the butter while you continue whisking, then do the same with the milk.
- Once your ingredients are incorporated into a custard, pour it into a shallow dish and lay your bread slices in the mixture. Let them soak for a minute, then flip them to allow the dry side to soak.
- Transfer the slices to the lined baking sheet and bake at 425F for approximately 10 minutes. Set the toaster oven to broil for about 5 minutes, just enough time for the toast slices to brown. Rotating the baking sheet to ensure each piece is evenly-browned may be necessary.
- Carefully remove french toast slices from the toaster oven, transfer to a plate, and top with whipped cream, honey, syrup, or fresh fruit and confectioner’s syrup.
When prepared correctly, making French toast in the toaster oven is a simple way to make a delicious breakfast with minimal appliances. By baking the French toast instead of cooking it on the stovetop, you save yourself from dirtying extra dishes and getting french toast with soggy edges.
A Quick Tip
Make sure you’re using quality bread or even sliced challah. Thinner brands of bread tend to dissolve when soaked in the custard. It’s also essential to follow the instructions exactly when making the custard; adding the melted butter or milk too quickly will prevent the wet ingredients from mixing correctly.
Cooking french toast in the toaster oven is the best way to prepare these tasty slices; it’s easy and effective and a great option even for those with a full-sized range to work with. So long as the whisking directions are followed precisely, you will have a delicious french toast ready in less than 20 minutes.