Cooking canned corn can be as simple, or as complicated, as you want it to be, depending on the recipe at hand. Corn right out of the can is delicious, or even just adding some butter and popping it in the microwave.
One can of corn is usually fifteen ounces, which is about one and a half cups of corn. This knowledge can come in handy if you are cooking the canned corn as part of a bigger recipe.
But cooking canned corn in the oven will give it a more roasted, crunchy, feel. Corn that comes in a can has already been not only removed from the can, but more often than not also cooked and seasoned.
Canned corn can easily be cooked in the oven. Corn that comes in a can has already been cooked. Due to this, cooking canned corn, even in an oven, does not take very much time.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature that is just below the broiler.
- Then, pour the entire can of corn into a strainer and drain the excess water. You could also only drain half of the water and use it as a flavoring element, along with butter and garlic.
- Once you’ve done that, lay out the kernels of corn onto a baking sheet. This is the most time consuming part. Make sure there is only one layer of corn with no overlaps.
- Set the baking sheet with corn into the oven. Heat for about two minutes. Alternatively, heat on a lower heat setting for around five minutes. This way may be safer because it can ensure the corn does not burn.
- If the corn kernels don’t look like they have turned brown yet, let them stay in the oven for another minute or so. If they have turned a brownish color, remove the tray from the oven and let it sit out to cool.
- If you like, you can add some salt and seasoning to bring out more of the canned corn’s flavor.
If you want the corn to have a more grilled, smokier flavor, adding chipotle powder or paprika can do the trick. Corn is an easy, sweet vegetable to eat and you can make it as plain or as zesty as you want.
Canned corn is an accessible food that can be cooked in many ways. Cooking canned corn in the oven is extremely easy and yields delicious results. Once cooked in the oven, you can enjoy it as is or season it however you please.