Cheese lovers around the world know how versatile a creamy cheese fondue can be, so it’s no surprise why people make it all the time. With so many delicious cheese options out there, like fontina, gouda, or Gruyère, it’d be easy to make a different type of fondue every day!
It’s practically impossible to make without having leftovers though, so you’re probably left to wonder: can you reheat cheese fondue?
Yes! You can easily reheat cheese fondue either on the stovetop, in a microwave, or using a double broiler.
How do you reheat cheese fondue?
If you have leftover cheese fondue, don’t fret. There are several different methods for reheating fondue, so let’s take a look at these methods below.
Double broiler method
The double broiler method might sound a little daunting, but it’s actually really simple. This method is best for reheating fondue since it gives you a lot of control over the temperature, which is crucial for ensuring your fondue doesn’t burn. To use this method:
- Fill a deep pot halfway with water
- Bring the water to a boil and place a glass bowl on top of the pot, but make sure the bowl does not touch the water
- Add your leftover fondue to the bowl and stir constantly to ensure it doesn’t stick
- Keep stirring until it’s melted all the way through, then remove from the heat and enjoy
When reheating fondue, maintaining a proper temperature to ensure your cheese doesn’t burn is essential, but not every person has time to do the double boiler method. The stovetop method is the perfect mix of control and convenience. To use this method:
- Place a non-stick pot over medium heat
- Add a little bit of butter and milk to the pot and let it heat up
- After a minute, add the leftover fondue to the pot and stir
- Once the fondue starts boiling, reduce the heat to low
- Continue stirring the fondue until it’s heated through
- When it’s hot and melted again, you can pour it into a bowl and serve
This method is great if you’re in a bit of a time crunch. However, there’s a much greater chance of burning your leftover fondue using this method, so take extra care. To use this method:
- Put your fondue in a microwave-safe bowl
- Microwave in short, 15-second increments, stirring in between each session
- Repeat until the texture is smooth and melted all the way through
How long is cheese fondue good for in the fridge?
According to the USDA, you should use most cooked leftovers, including cheese fondue, within three to four days. Make sure to keep it in a sealed container and use your best judgment when it comes to reheating it. If it smells a little sour, the cheese has probably spoiled and should be discarded.
Cheese fondue is a fun party food that can be used in many different ways, so it’s great to save any leftovers! Just make sure to eat your leftovers within a couple of days and reheat them safely.