Greek yogurt is a popular yogurt sold practically everywhere. It originally came from Greece and was made from sheep or goat milk. Today, a lot of “greek style” yogurt that is sold in grocery stores, is still made from cow milk. Greek yogurt is used for many different dishes and it is also great on its own.
Like regular yogurt, Greek yogurt can be eaten hot or cold. There are many hot dishes like stir fries, pasta sauces, and other sauces that use Greek yogurt. You can even add Greek yogurt to dishes that are already heated to give them extra flavor. However, at a certain temperature, the good bacteria in the yogurt will begin to die and the yogurt may not be considered as healthy. It also begins to curdle when cooked at a very high heat. It is best to cook with Greek yogurt at a low heat.
How To Heat Greek Yogurt
There are a few ways that work out well in heating up Greek yogurt. Remember, whichever way is being used, the heat must remain low to keep the yogurt from curdling.
Microwaving greek yogurt would be helpful for certain sauces you are making to heat the yogurt first. Here is how you can microwave Greek yogurt.
- Get a microwave safe bowl and put in your Greek yogurt, your yogurt can be room temperature or right from the fridge.
- Set your microwave to its lowest power setting, at around 10%.
- Microwave the yogurt in 10 second intervals to be sure you aren’t over heating it.
Adding Greek yogurt to a stir fry is one of the most popular ways of having Greek yogurt warmed. Greek yogurt creates a delicious sour/sweet taste to stir fries while also giving it a creamy texture.
- Wait until the dish is practically done to heat add in the Greek yogurt.
- Make sure the stove is on low heat before carefully adding in the Greek yogurt, small scoops at a time.
- Don’t wait until it begins to bubble to take it off the heat, you don’t want the yogurt to heat to this point.
- Tip: adding cornstarch to your yogurt will keep it from getting too hot and curdling
You can easily heat your Greek yogurt in a small pot over the stove. This method is similar to adding Greek yogurt to a stir fry.
- Add your Greek yogurt to a pot
- Turn your stove on medium low and constantly stir the yogurt
- As with adding Greek yogurt to a stir fry, don’t let the yogurt start to bubble, take it off the heat before that point
Whether you are making a delicious stir fry with a creamy yogurt sauce, or a pasta dish with Greek yogurt, or simply just want to eat hot Greek yogurt, there are many ways to heat up your yogurt. The most important thing to remember is to make sure it doesn’t get too hot because then it will begin to curdle.