Pies are a delicious dessert. Pies can be savory, custard, cream, or fruit, and can all be delightful. Contrary to what you might expect, you can bake an amazing pie from an average toaster oven! Whether you’re thinking of making one from scratch, baking one frozen, or reheating some pie from earlier, this guide will take you through the process of baking your pie.
Yes, you can bake a pie with a toaster oven. A toaster oven is very similar to a kitchen oven, except that they are made to use less power. When using a toaster oven to bake, keep in mind the settings. The temperature and time you bake the pie will be very important for the outcome.
Using a toaster oven instead of a kitchen oven has many benefits. In this case, cooking a pie in the oven can save energy from the smaller size. A toaster oven’s smaller size can also lead to faster cooking times with the same results as its larger counterparts.
Now that we know you can bake a pie in a toaster oven with great results, let’s get to how you can do it.
How to Bake a Pie in a Toaster Oven
- First, ensure that the pan you’ll be using is small enough to fit in your toaster oven. An inch or more of room around the pan in the oven is best. You can always cook smaller portions to make the pan fit!
- Now, you’ll have to start preparing your pie. This depends on whether you’re making the pie in the kitchen, or already have one that needs baking. Whichever you’re doing, you will need to preheat the toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The pie will be baked closely to the heat source and the top can burn if exposed. Add aluminum foil to the top of the pie for the first 15 minutes it bakes, and it should have no burns on the top!
- Next, it’s time to put your pie in the toaster oven. Have a full-sized 8-9 inch pie? Set the timer to around 45 minutes. Less time is needed for smaller pies or pieces. The best way to tell your time will be your recipe.
- When it’s done, it’s time to take it out of the oven. Not only the pie will be hot, but the entire toaster oven including the outside casing. Be sure to use oven mitts or pot holders.
- Now, give the pie time to cool on a wire rack. It will be very hot after baking properly.
Can You Bake a Frozen Pie in a Toaster Oven?
Yes, you can bake a frozen pie in a toaster oven. You can store your pie away in the fridge until you need it, and bake it in your toaster oven.
How to Bake a Frozen Pie in a Toaster Oven
- First, prepare your cooking pan. Line it with aluminum foil in case there are any spills during baking.
- Take out your frozen pie. Remove any wrapping on the pie, but keep it in its pan.
- Is the pie pre-baked? If it was not, make sure there are three or four slits on top.
- Place the pie in the center of your baking pan.
- Time to preheat the toaster oven. If the pie is pre-baked, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. If the pie is not pre-baked, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Once ready, bake the pie. For a pre-baked pie, around 30 minutes in the oven will be most of the baking, but for the last 10 minutes, watch the pie for any sudden browning on the crust. If this happens, decrease the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and add aluminum foil to the top of the pie. If your pie is not pre-baked, bake for around 45 minutes.
- Once finished, the pie and oven will be very hot. Take out the pie using oven mitts or pot holders and set the pie on a wire rack to let it cool.
- If you thawed your pie in the refrigerator before baking, cut the baking time in half.
Can Pie Tin Go in a Toaster Oven?
Yes, pie tin can go in a toaster oven. A Pie tin is nearly always oven-safe and will give you no issues when baking your pie.
Tips for Cooking a Pie in a Toaster Oven
Most toaster ovens are small. When baking your pie in a toaster oven, the heating elements may be too close to the top of the pie’s crust. This may lead to burns on the top. To fix this problem, Add a layer of tin foil to the top of the crust. You can do this for the entire baking process, or add the tin foil if you notice burns on the crust while baking. If you do notice burns, lowering the temperature will also reduce any browning that may begin during baking.
If you have thawed a frozen pie in the refrigerator before baking, cut the baking time in half. Keep in mind that frozen pies should be eaten within six months of purchase.
Pie tin can go in a toaster oven, and is made to. However, the tin may leak, and your pie may spill some while baking. To keep your toaster oven clean and have less burning, place your pie on a pan that fits in your oven with an inch or more of room, and place aluminum foil on the pan before baking your pie.
Yes, you can absolutely bake a pie in a toaster oven. Whether it’s from scratch, frozen, thawed, pre-baked, or not, there’s a way for you. Keep in mind the differences between a kitchen oven and a toaster oven, and you’ll be able to use your toaster oven just as effectively as any large kitchen oven! The size difference, heating, and use can all be mastered for baking a pie in your toaster oven. If you feel like having a delicious slice of pie, your handy countertop toaster oven is perfect for the task!